Monday, March 16, 2009

The Curious Incident of Russia in the "Springtime"

The only place with internet of decent speed in Vladimir is in a bar.  I come here maybe three times a week.  However, as of today they're insisting that everyone with a computer order at least 150 rubles worth of food.  Usually I just get a 30 ruble tea, or nothing.  No more of that.  Therefore, I probably will only use the internet once a week.  I am not made of rubles.  Plus, I'm not hungry or interested in getting shwasted at three in the afternoon.  Как сказать "LAME" по русский?

In other news, Laurie is no longer in Russia.  She is in America.  Also lame.  I finally learn how to make a friend, and she runs away from me :(  Actually, she had to go home for a familial reason, but I still think being in Russia just isn't going to be the same without her.  Wait, not think, KNOW.

I have decided that they should invent a militianera Barbie.  I saw a girl with flowing blonde hair, stiletto heels, and perfectly applied makeup on the bus the other day who would make a fabulous model for the Barbie.  She just looked so adorable in the militia hat.  I think the theme should be that she fights crime with her shoes.  Yes, yes.  

Friday night, I was in a hookah bar with Laurie and Chelsea.  Chelsea had brought chocolate for Laurie because she was going to be leaving for the states soon.  The chocolate was just sitting on the table, not harming anyone, when suddenly the waitress swooped in and theifed the chocolate, without explanation.  WTF? I say.  When we were leaving, the other (somewhat kinder) waitress explained that you can't bring your own chocolate (or food in general) with you because they sell chocolate (and food?), and gave us back our chocolate.  Fun times.

In the same bar, there was a group of young men sitting close to us.  They were incredibly rude.  They stared at us, laughed at us, talked about us in Russian as if we couldn't understand them, and then spurted out random nonsensical English phrases.  I seriously considered telling them off, but I figured, it wasn't worth the effort or the loss of my peace of mind, so I ignored them.

Also on Friday, I found some people locked in a cage, and managed to get the building guard to come unlock them.  Interesting.  Perhaps I should explain, it wasn't exactly a cage, it was a gate that closed off a hallway.  I don't know how they got in there, but they asked me if I spoke Russian, and when I said yes they asked me to get someone to unlock the gate.  So, I did.  The end.

Even earlier on Friday, Laurie spilled red wine all over me and my purse.  What a mean friend! Haha.  It's all good.  It was just another lesson in riding myself of materialism.  I'm getting quite good at it.  Stuff, is just stuff.  Plus, I dried off eventually.  It was only temporarily uncomfortable.

I don't understand the weather here.  And by don't understand, I clearly mean that I am fed up with it.  Supposedly it is Spring.  What exactly that means I don't know.  I believe the word Spring implies that the thick layers of ice coating the ground will melt into slush and puddles every other day and then freeze back into thinner, slicker layers of ice.  I never know how to dress.  Should I wear boots?  Do I need my winter coat or my "spring" coat.  How in the world is it that a Spring coat is made of wool?  It was 71 degrees in Vegas yesterday.  But in Vladimir it was -8 degrees (celsius which is maybe about 16 or 17 degrees fahrenheit).  What?

I would like to leave you all (assuming more than one person reads this) with a brief exchange I had with Laurie on Saturday.
L: "Russians must think we're weird"
M: "Why?"
L: "Americans do things in public that Russians would never do - like sit on the ground... and have fun."



2 comments:

  1. I was showing your pictures to my sister and, when she saw your purse, she immediately identified it as Michael Kors "Astor" without my even asking or pointing it out. I got such a kick out of that. She owns a pewter Newbury embossed snakeskin satchel by Michael by Michael Kors and also a large patent clutch in deep red with mailslot handle by Michael by Michael Kors. I inquired on your behalf.

    It's weird for me, the weather here. Just the idea of leaving the house without a coat seems strange. Walking is so much easier without snow. Cars keep giving me the right of way. I don't like it.

    Also I wonder why the 150 ruble limit. Seems to me it's reasonable to insist everyone buy something, but not that much. Especially considering the fact that we go there almost every day, so they're driving away our business by sticking such a high price tag on the internet. I'm sure they'll end up making less money in the long run. These Russians clearly don't have a good grasp on microeconomics. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so know what you mean! I had one of my 9 year old students in St. Petersburg tell me that I dont want to have kids because Im sitting on the ground... when she went on to explain I guess they believe you are freezing your eggs and will be infertile. Interesting people :)

    LOVING your blog... its like Im right there with you, remembering living through half of these things myself, glad I didnt live through the other half, and loving all your o so picturesque descriptions.

    Hope all is well with you and you are safe, happy, and staying entertained :)

    ReplyDelete